When buying a necklace, whether it’s for you or intended as a gift, it’s hard to know what length you’d like it to be. You want to make sure it doesn’t get lost in your shirt neckline or hang at an awkward spot. So, we’ve gathered some key tips to help you find the perfect length for your necklace so that it sits just right.
Here are some easy and simple ways to determine your necklace length!
1. Refer to the sizing chart below
For the average build, here are the most standard lengths:
- 14” - choker style
- 16” - sits right below the collarbone, an everyday short piece
- 18” - sits more in the middle of your chest, an everyday piece*most popular length & the best option if buying as a gift
- 20” - between collarbone and bust, falls a few inches below collarbone
- 22” - between collarbone and bust, falls a few inches below collarbone
- 30” - a longer necklace, can slip over your head and wear with different outfits.
- Don't forget to consider that the pendant will make the necklace seem longer when determining your length.
2. Measure a necklace you already have
If you own a necklace that you love the length already, measure it to determine what length you’d like your new necklace to be. If it seems an odd length, such as 18 ½”, the chain may have stretched from everyday wear. It was probably 18“ originally.
3. Use a string to find the length you want
If you don’t have a necklace with the length you want, your next best thing is to find a piece of string that you can measure. Simply wrap it around your neck, make a note of where it ends and then measure the length of the string.
4. How to find the length if you’re layering pieces
If you’re looking for an additional necklace to layer, your new piece should be at least a 2” length difference. This will make it hang 1” higher or lower than your original piece(s). Keep in mind the size of the pendent as well. If you have a longer pendant, like a skinny bar, that is over an inch long, you may want to go up a full or ½ inch.
5. How to find a length for different styles of clothing
Consider what you’re wanting to wear your necklace with. Is it a piece that you don’t want to take off and wear daily? You may want a 16” or 18”. If you’re wanting a fun piece that you can put on and take off, depending what you’re wearing, you may want a longer style - 30” necklace is the average long length.
Find your perfect necklace!